ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — UK & Ireland (also known as Index to Theses):
The most comprehensive available record of doctoral theses from the United Kingdom and Ireland, now available on ProQuest.
Expanding ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Content Internationally
ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — UK & Ireland (PQDT — UK & Ireland) has been meticulously compiling citations to British and Irish dissertations and theses. The corpus of U.K. and Ireland dissertations and master’s theses in this product currently comprises over half a million records, with some additional 15,000 citations added annually.
The collection offers:
- The most comprehensive available listing of theses, with abstracts accepted for higher degrees by universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland, since 1716.
- Access to bibliographic coverage of theses produced by British and Irish universities.
- Bibliographic listings for content for 1950-1986.
- Abstracts for content since 1986.
Complete records, with the most comprehensive coverage
A growing number of open-access U.K. and Ireland theses are listed on institutional repositories, but they are only a small percentage of the total number of theses produced annually.
Unlike institutional repositories, PQDT — UK & Ireland does not rely on individual academics to upload their works, ensuring coverage from leading British universities. PQDT — UK & Ireland also offers consistent bibliographic standards across all records, and easy cross searching of all U.K. graduate works, as well as global coverage when combined with ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (PQDT).
Valued content that’s affordable and precise
The United Kingdom and Ireland boast many of the world’s leading research universities. Graduate works from British and Irish institutions have been frequently requested by ProQuest’s existing PQDT customers.
And because PQDT — UK & Ireland is on the ProQuest platform, other benefits include:
- No need for training: PQDT — UK & Ireland is as easy as using PQDT. Access this unique collection of dissertation records without having to learn how to navigate a new interface.
- Cross search with other ProQuest products for higher usage rates, with less library administration.
- Search PQDT — UK & Ireland records concurrently with PQDT to provide your library users with a complete view of English-language dissertations and theses.
- No more searching across multiple databases; it’s all in one place!
- No unique set up or software required.
Ask us about:
- Upgrade offers for PQDT – Full Text
- Digitization and archiving of your retrospective dissertations
- Special discounts on large orders or dissertation copy purchases
With more than 4 million entries, ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global is the most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses in the world.
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global allows:
- Graduate students to consult the database to make sure their proposed thesis or dissertation topics have not already been written about
- Students, faculty, and other researchers to search for titles related to their scholarly interests
- Instant access to high-quality, multidisciplinary research materials
- Building your ebooks collection – with each dissertation including an ISBN, ProQuest is the world’s largest publisher of ISBNs
- Cross-searching with journal and other content types on the ProQuest platform
The database includes bibliographic citations for materials ranging from the first U.S. dissertation, accepted in 1861 as well as European dissertations back from the 17th century, to those accepted as recently as last semester.
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global is the official dissertations repository for the Library of Congress, more than 3,000 contributing Institutions and 130,000 works added annually.
The full text of more than 2 million of these titles is available in paper, microform, and electronic (if subscription allows) formats. Institutional subscribers to ProQuest Dissertation & Theses Global receive online access to the complete file of dissertations in digital format for hundreds of thousands of titles published before 1997, as well as every title from 1997 forward.
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global is updated weekly and features 24 indexed and searchable fields, including full text searchability for the entire text of full-text dissertations.